Advertisement

Epilepsy, or "seizure disorder," is a chronic neurological disorder marked by sudden and unpredictable seizures. Seizures happen when there is an unusual pattern of electrical signals in the brain, causing a disturbance.

 

The most common type of seizure (60%) is convulsive, and the remaining 40% is non-convulsive. Within these definitions, there are many different kinds of epileptic seizures, making it a varied condition with a wide spectrum.

 

When a person experiences epileptic seizures, they can be diagnosed with one of these three kinds: idiopathic, which means that there is no apparent cause; cryptogenic, which means there is probably a cause, but the doctor cannot identify it; and symptomatic, which means that the doctor knows what the cause is.

 

In 70% of the cases, seizures can be managed with medication. When antiepileptic drugs do not work, the next option is surgery, a special diet, or vagus nerve stimulation (VNS).

Advertisement

Related Articles

Disclaimer

This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.