Advertisement
Advertisement

Most of us are unaware of toxicity in foods. This is, of course, due to the medical definition of toxicity. Anything that has even slightly adverse effects on us can be called toxic. Because of this, many of the foods we eat daily can be indeed considered toxic. But we consume them in such small doses that we don't seem to suffer any immediate consequences. This supports the age-old saying that the dosage makes the poison. Despite this, there are some foods we eat that are downright toxic. We're not talking about slightly detrimental, but full blown deadly. Why do we keep eating them, if this is the case? Well, this is a question of taste. Some of these toxic foods are delicacies in certain areas of the world. Or, some parts of certain plants are safe for eating in very moderate doses. How many of these did you know were seriously toxic?

Advertisement

Pufferfish

This fish is one of the most poisonous creatures ever to swim the ocean. Every bit of its blood, organs, and skin contains the dangerous poison tetrodotoxin. Tetrodotoxin is actually 100 times more potent than any form of cyanide. Strangely enough, people in Japan, China, and Korea still eat it as a delicacy. Only a select few chefs have the license to prepare it. Before even getting the license, they have to go through a multi-year training program. One pufferfish can kill 30 people with no problem at all.

toxic pufferfish
Advertisement

Elderberry

This flowering plant is native to the tropical regions of the world. You can also find it in some subtropical areas, as well. It is regarded as an essential part of many medicines and liquors as well. What's the catch? Well, every part of the elderberry, aside from the flower and berries, is toxic. Even using elderberry juice for a long time may cause diarrhea and vomiting. Many victims who poison them by elderberry don't realize it's the reason for the symptoms. Instead, they carry on and drink the juice like it's nothing. Because of this, they may dehydrate and die.

toxic berries
Advertisement

Rhubarb

Rhubarb is one of the lesser known, but more useful plants. You may know it for its wide leaves and weird-looking, long stems. It can be used in addition to dishes as well as a beneficial medicine. Even though it's beneficial, it holds a nasty secret. The leaves of rhubarb contain large quantities of oxalic acid, a lethal toxin. If consumed too much, it can cause bloody urine, tremors, hallucinations and much more. Thankfully, the stem is devoid of this poison so that you can use it without fear.

rhubarb toxic
Advertisement

Potatoes

Who would suspect the lovely and tasty potato to contain any form of toxin? Unfortunately, it's very much true. This common root is an essential part of just about every dish around the world. What could make it so toxic and dangerous to our organism? The answer lies in the leaves and the stems. They are very toxic and detrimental to every part of our body. In addition to them, green potatoes also hold the same grim characteristics. With large solanine quantities, green potatoes may cause serious health problems.

toxic potato
Advertisement

Tomatoes

This healthy and beneficial fruit is an immunity booster and an important factor in our diets. It might seem entirely preposterous to deem it as a source of toxins. Unfortunately, that particular notion may prove to be true. Tomatoes are a member of the so-called nightshade plant family. Members of this particular family are known to be very toxic under all circumstances. Their stems and leaves contain many dangerous alkaloids. The fruit, but, is pretty much safe for consumption. This presence of alkaloids is the reason why the leaves and stems are not for eating.

tomato toxic
Advertisement

Castor oil

This specific type of oil is used in many facets of our lives. Its most important application is in the world of cosmetics. People use it for a variety of maladies and conditions. It can treat hair loss, make skin smoother and make wrinkles disappear. But, it may be toxic. The thing is that castor oil is made out of castor beans. This is done by pressing the beans strongly and forcefully. These beans contain ricin, a toxic mater. Because of this, be careful about the source of your castor oil. Only get it from licensed manufacturers.

castor oils toxic
Advertisement

Mushrooms

Who could imagine a pizza without mushrooms on it? This amazing and healthy fungus made its way to about every cuisine on the planet. They are also a great choice for people who avoid eating meat. Mushrooms provide them with an exotic taste and a meaty texture. What's dangerous about mushrooms is the variety of them in nature. In total, there are about 120 deadly mushroom varieties in the world. You may recognize them with an umbrella-like cap, white spots. It would be wise not to pick up mushrooms while you're hiking in nature.

toxic foods
Advertisement

Cherries

Who could imagine life without one of the sweetest and most beneficial fruits out there? Cherries have proven to be an essential part of many drinks and ice creams in the world. Their texture is full of sweet goodness, but there is a part of the cherry you might not want to eat. Cherry seeds are full of cyanide. They should never be crushed unless you want to poison yourself pretty bad. Cyanide disables the transportation of oxygen in your blood. Only small doses are needed to die, so you'd better be careful. Always spit out the seeds!

seeds toxic
Advertisement

Almonds

Many of us simply adore the fullness and goodness of this type of nut. Almonds have proven to be an invaluable nutrition addition to everyone's diet. You may eat them with a smile on your face, but they also hide a grim secret. The thing is - there are two types of almonds in existence. Sweet almonds are the ones we enjoy eating. Bitter ones are poisonous if you didn't know. They contain a chemical which turns into cyanide.

cyanide toxic
Advertisement

Apples

Now, it may seem surprising, but apples to contain some toxic elements. As cherries do, apples also have toxic seeds. They do contain a certain amount of cyanide. It's best to remove these parts, as you never know what can you come across. Only the fruit part of the apple contains vitamins and minerals, so stick to it. When eating apples, always be meticulous and careful. It's for your own safety.

toxic cyanide in apples

Disclaimer

This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.