3. Diagnosis

If mastoiditis is suspected, the doctor will look at the person's inner ear using a light and magnifying glass to get a detailed view. If they believe there is an inner ear infection, they may refer the person to an ear, nose, and throat (ENT) specialist for further evaluation. The specialist may take a blood test and a sample of any discharge from the ear. This can help to identify a bacterial infection. Some people may require a CT scan of their head to allow a closer look at the mastoid bone.

medication Mastoiditis

SolStock / Getty Images



This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.