Advertisement

Lymphoma is a type of cancer that affects the lymphatic system. This plays a major role in the body's immune function. The lymphatic system is widely distributed throughout the body. It comprises a network of fluid, lymphocytes, lymphatic vessels, lymph nodes and lymphatic organs, such as the spleen, the thymus, the tonsils and bone marrow, as well as in the stomach, intestines, and skin. There are several types and subtypes of lymphoma, though mostly, they are divided into two categories: Hodgkin lymphomas and non-Hodgkin lymphomas. Only 10 percent of cases are Hodgkin lymphomas. The remaining 90 percent are non-Hodgkin lymphomas.

Advertisement

1. Swelling of the Lymph Nodes

There are no screening procedures for lymphoma. It may be diagnosed when individuals approach a physician on account of some discomfort. Since the symptoms are not very distinctive, especially in the early stages, the doctor may miss diagnose it. Therefore, individuals must observe their body and relay their symptoms precisely to a physician. Here are the warning signs that should alert you to the possibility of lymphoma.

Ordinarily, pain accompanies swollen lymph nodes, especially those that are caused by an infection and are inflammatory. However, in lymphoma, the pain is mostly absent. Mostly, the swelling appears in the neck, armpits or groin region, where there is a high concentration of lymph nodes. In general, those affected simply observe the presence of lumps in these or possibly other areas.

Advertisement

More on Facty Health

Disclaimer

This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.