Bee stings can be frightening, especially when you don't see them coming. Every year, millions of people are stung by bees and other stinging insects. For some people, this is a life-or-death situation. Allergies to bee stings are common, and victims of stings can quickly go into anaphylactic shock and possibly die if not quickly treated. If you have an allergic reaction, seek medical help rather than attempting to resolve the issue at home. For those who are not allergic, bee stings are still painful and inconvenient. Luckily, there are many home remedies that may minimize symptoms and promote healing.
Before doing anything else, it is important to remove the stinger from the wound. While some stinging insects can sting multiple times, honey bees die after stinging. If you are stung by a bee, the stinger will typically break off and remain in your skin. Be careful not to squeeze or twist the stinger because it can inject more toxins and cause pain. Instead, use tweezers or your fingernails to gently pull the stinger out. Do not attempt to treat the sting before removing the stinger. If it breaks off under the skin, you should see your physician.
Receive updates on the latest news and alerts straight to your inbox.
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.