Though most people associate toxic shock syndrome (TSS) with the use of tampons, women, men, and children of any age can contract the illness. A particular bacteria in the strep and staph family releases poison into the body, causing TSS. It is possible to avoid contracting the condition, in most cases, through proper hygiene. Sometimes toxic shock syndrome develops in people following surgery, so mindful recovery is vital.
Toxic shock syndrome comes on suddenly and can be fatal if left untreated. The condition is rare, can be difficult to diagnose, and is most commonly associated with super-absorbent tampons. This association resulted in the removal of several types from store shelves in recent years. This action has reduced occurrences of TSS, though it has certainly not eradicated the infection.
This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other health-care professional.