Advertisement

2. Causes: Genetic Tendency

There is considerable scientific evidence to support a genetic factor in the development of depression. In other words, if one family member has or had depression, another is at greater risk of developing the condition. In fact, experts have found that up to 40 percent of all people experiencing depression have a genetic link to the disease. Circumstances, health, and other components comprise the other 60 percent. Research shows people with a parent or sibling with depression are up to three times as likely to experience the condition.

Highwaystarz-Photography / Getty Images
Advertisement

Health MattersAds By tapnative

More on Facty Health

Disclaimer

This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.