Advertisement

2. Cluster Headaches

Characterized by cyclical patterns of unilateral pain known as clusters, cluster headaches are intense. These types of headaches wake people up in the middle of the night for anywhere between one and three hours on average. According to the Migraine Trust, pain can not only be localized around one eye, which switches sides from time to time but also around the temple or forehead.

Approximately 80 percent of cluster headaches are episodic, reaching peak intensity within the first five to 10 minutes. They typically occur once a year in Spring or Autumn. The remaining 20 percent are chronic and don’t leave room for any pain-free intervals. Triggers include strong smells, such as perfume or gas as well as becoming overheated.

  • Learn more about the Frequently Asked Questions About Cluster Headaches
  • dragana991 / Getty Images
    Advertisement

    More on Facty Health

    Disclaimer

    This site offers information designed for educational purposes only. You should not rely on any information on this site as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, treatment, or as a substitute for, professional counseling care, advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you have any concerns or questions about your health, you should always consult with a physician or other healthcare professional.